Monday, October 15, 2012

This Little Piggy

     I was the odd kid that didn't want any ham on holidays. And the kid who would have been ok not having that side of bacon. And pork chops were never my thing, nor hotdogs. I did not, and still do not, like pork. So, I guess being in the Middle East is helpful in that I don't find myself wondering, "are these little meat bits floating around in my food, ham?" (I would like to take this quick moment and thank my family members who catered to me on holidays by making me a turkey or chicken!)

Buying and consuming pork here makes you feel like you are sneaking around on the black market! We can not find any in the town where we live. If I ever had the hankerin' for pork, I would have to either drive over the border to the neighbouring country or drive nearly 4 hours to the capital city. And then I would have to find the "special" grocery stores. Walk past all the cold products to a little walk-in closet sized room in the back of the store. Above the door way a sign reads "non-Muslims only." Already you feel really conspicuous. You feel like you need to put a bag over your head as you walk into the "forbidden" room! Why you may wonder would I, the non-pork eater, wonder into such a dark hole? For Poptarts, of course! Yes, you read that correctly. Poptarts are on the contraband list! (Might be why they are nearly $10 a box!)
     For those of you who are starting to panic at the thought of us not being able to enjoy eggs and bacon for breakfast; do not fear! We have some good substitutes (great news for me!) Turkey bacon, beef sausage and pepperoni, and chicken hotdogs can be found in most grocery stores!

     Even though I am ok not eating the pork, I seem to have trouble with talking about pigs! I find myself making pig references at least once a week! "Quit hoggin' the remote... You little Porker... This car is a gas hog...when pigs fly... this looks like a pigs' sty..." And shame on us for teaching Alexis "This little piggy went to the market!" She loves to play this with KG in public places! Whoops. These are sayings I have grown up with and normally would not think twice saying.  Guess, I need to find some word substitutes! And I probably should stop dressing KG in his Three Little Pigs diaper when we visit with nationals! You live, and keep learning!

This Little Piggy needs to stay HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment